Skip to main content

2015 Summertime Blues Festival, Nanaimo, BC Canada

 As of 2015, I am one year into the Blues Scene in the Nanaimo area. I have started going to the Blues Jam on Sundays at the Queen's, a bar in Nanaimo (more on that later). For now, here are some photos and a short commentary on the 2015 Summertime Blues Festival held in August.

The headliners for this year are Marcia Ball, Elvin Bishop and CJ Chenier.

Marcia Ball


Elvin Bishop


CJ Chenier
It was a powerful festival. Each band brought a completely different take on the Blues from other bands. Who knew that there were so many ways to create, play and present the Blues. It kept me immersed all weekend. With CJ Chenier, I was introduced to Zydeco for the first time.

The local bands and bands from the mainland all were masters in their own right. 

Frank Alexander of Alexander's Bluestime Band was full-on. He has passed on now, but he took the initiative to bring Blues alive on Vancouver Island, partly through starting the Sunday Blues Jam in Nanaimo. His wife has continued it. You will see more details about the Jam and Frank Alexander in the interview I had with his wife, Jackie Moisan in a later post.

Frank Alexander


The crowd is having a blast.


Jordie Edmonds & Little Victor


Lots of animated conversations


Virginia Blatchford of Luv Train


CJ Chenier Band






Comments